Wednesday 7 September 2016

Challenges for disabled students - Topic 4

Following my last post, which I shared in the OU disabled students Facebook group, I discovered that tables on webpages are not read so easily by screen readers. One visually impaired lady entered into quite a detailed and helpful discussion, which gave me better insight as to what blind web users experience. I have to confess, it left me a little frustrated because I looked into how I could make tables more accessible and the issue seems to be with using tables to present information, rather than data. This post would have also been easier to present in a table but I don't want to exclude anyone, so for now, I will avoid tables, though I'm sure eventually I will find a solution using divs or something.

Activity 4.1 asks us to list some of the challenges faced by disabled students in:

  • all post-compulsory education
  • campus based modules
  • online learning
  • particular subjects/contexts (not dealt with in my blog)
I split it into different categories of disability:
  • mobility impairments
  • visual impairments
  • hearing impairments
  • learning disabilities
I'll edit this over several sessions before sharing on social media but here's today's sections, which are about mobility challenges.

common to all post-compulsory education
  • sitting comfortably for long periods of time
specific to campus-based modules
  • Parking
  • Getting to the campus
  • Getting around the campus
  • Toilets
  • Regular attendance
  • Fire drills
  • Unexpected fire alarms – not being able to use lifts and lack of trained staff for evacuchairs
  • Temperature control
  • Manipulation of physical resources
  • Acceptance of assistance dogs
  • Large heavy doors
specific to online learning
  • using a mouse or keyboard
I think campus-based learning is much harder in terms of challenges for students with a mobility impairment. That's one of the reasons, I've opted for OU study.

No comments:

Post a Comment