Saturday 24 September 2016

Accessibility History

Last night and this morning, I have been looking at how accessibility and attitudes towards disability have changed over time, and particularly over the last 150 years. I found these photos/posters on the Disability Museum website.

Poster from 1910

Picture of a man with an injured spine, sitting on a makeshift cart. The slogan reads, "Being unable to walk due to an injured spine, the only income I have is what I receive from you, my dear friends. Your smallest contribution will be highly appreciated. Thank you. I trust you will not regret it."

I chose this picture because it shows how far we have come since 1910 in at least three ways.

  1. Wheelchair design - What even is that thing?!?! It's awful! Really awful! How can a man with a spinal injury be comfortable, sitting on it? Right now, I am more grateful than ever for my purpose-built, made to measure, comfy wheelchair.
  2. Equality in the workplace - Why is he unable to earn money? He says it's because he is unable to walk. So what?!! He is not unable to think. He is not unable to make decisions. I bet there are many things he could do. Again, gratitude just wells up when I see this. I love my job! I can't image not going to work each day.
  3. Social security - I hope it never comes to it but today, in this country, we have a system that provides for the sick, disabled people, anyone who can't work. I know our benefits system has been heavily criticised recently but at least we have one. This chap, in the picture, only had what was given to him through charity and our current debate is about people losing the right to a free brand-new car every three years.
From 1933


Picture of a young boy, maybe 10 to 12 years old, in a wheelchair. He's dressed all in grey. The caption reads, "But for the grace of God, there go I."

I would love to say that the attitude behind this picture has moved on now but in many ways, I think people still pity disabled people, especially those with visible disabilities. We don't tend to use this phrase anymore but I've heard other similar phrases:
  • It's such a shame she's in a wheelchair.
  • I can't believe what's happened to you. I'm so sorry.
  • I can't imagine how awful it must be...
I'm really not being brave. I'm not in denial about what has happened. Sure, I have occasional bad days, days when nothing is easy and I get frustrated... but so do non-disabled people. I'm actually very happy. Not being brave, happy. I'm genuinely happy.

From 1990

1990 is in my lifetime. It's not that long ago really. So I would expect this to be more like now.



Picture of a lady in a wheelchair at the bottom of a flight of stone steps, leading up to the front door of an apartment block. The caption reads, "Fro some people the search for an apartment is all uphill." Small text at the bottom highlights that many apartment buildings are still not accessible and it's time we made room for everybody.

I think that in general, accessibility has improved immensely but we still have a long way to go. Our history is steeped in architecture that was built when accessibility was not on the agenda. It's really difficult to adapt some buildings and it's costly. We're in the process of adapting our home and it's unbelievably expensive. That's why I try to remain patient with businesses. I do think that accessibility should be top consideration though, when any renovations take place.


Picture taken from above, looking down on the feet and lap of a man in a wheelchair. He has a briefcase on his lap. The caption reads, "Before July 26, 1990, this new employee couldn't even get a foot in the door."

Do we now have equality in the workplace for disabled people? Not 100%, no, but it's much better than it was. One day, I hope we will have a perfect society but for now, we are still in a process of change... change for the better... and change isn't instant. It's a process. It takes time.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Nicky
    I think your choice of pictures is great - not least because several of them are the same ones that I had identified too ! You have a very positive approach and I appreciate your candour.
    Thanks
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to get your facts right. As someone with a spinal injury and unable to sit upright for more that 90 mins at a time, without severe pain and ending up bedridden for several days, I am eligible for DLA which is to pay for any transport costs. I don't get a 'free car' every three years. I pay £57 per week to lease a car which can accommodate my wheelchair or mobility scooter. If I owned a car, this would help to pay insurance etc. I would still be unable to drive it due to my medication!
    The government puts enough pressure on those of us who are too ill to support ourselves.Please don't mock the struggle some of us have to just be able to get out of the house once or twice a week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nicky,

    Thanks for sharing these images. I have really enjoyed looking through the website for images as they certainly show an interesting change in accessibility 'options' over history. Thanks for highlighting in our tutor group forum as it was a nice change to move away from printed text for a while.

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nicky,

    Thanks for sharing these images. I have really enjoyed looking through the website for images as they certainly show an interesting change in accessibility 'options' over history. Thanks for highlighting in our tutor group forum as it was a nice change to move away from printed text for a while.

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete