Saturday 27 August 2016

Talking about disability - Activity 2.1

I've started working through some of the module materials for the first two weeks. When I study, I like to work through a section once, then go away and mull it over and then come back and do it again. Even weeks after a section has finished, I sometimes go back and have another look because my thoughts and opinions change with new learning over time.

Screenshot of the title from the OU module page



This activity focuses on the language we use to talk about and explain disabilities and accessibility. As part of the activity, I encountered the usual lists of what you should say vs what you shouldn't say. I mostly agree with these, though they change over time and of course, individuals have their own preferences. I generally try to say the right thing and not to use offensive language but I think it's important to get to know people as individuals and listen to how they talk about their disability.

Earlier this week, I was interviewing some people and one of the questions was about equality and diversity. Now bear in mind, I was sitting right opposite each candidate, in my wheelchair. There was an obvious reason for being careful with choice of words. Two people used the phrase, "people who have something wrong with them," when referring to disabled people. I actually found this phrase more offensive than any of the outdated terms that everyone knows not to use.

I don't know what bothered me more, the fact that they immediately focused on disability in regard to equality and diversity, or the inbuilt belief that a disabled person has something wrong with them. And it must be an inbuilt belief, to have used that phrase when talking to a wheelchair user.

The front cover of the book, showing a picture of a young boy holding a ball.

I've got a book called "What's Wrong With Timmy?" I love the book. It's about a child who meets a disabled boy called Timmy and at first, is reluctant to make friends because she doesn't understand and she has all kinds of fears about him. Her mum talks to her about Timmy and gradually the two become best friends. What I like about the story, is that fears of the unknown are natural and normal but getting to know a person is key to understanding them. At the end of the story, the child is asked by another friend, "What's wrong with Timmy?" and she confidently declares that there is nothing wrong with Timmy, nothing at all!

Not just language

Of course, we should choose our language carefully but there are other ways that we need to be careful about how we interact with disabled people, as well. On my other blog, I have a 'wheelchair etiquette' page. Some of these 'hints' are general good practice and some are just my personal preference. Feel free to have a look and ask any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment