Saturday 20 August 2016

Set Book

This module is the first one I have studied, where it isn't possible to get started a couple of weeks ahead. For me, this has been an important factor in succeeding at my studies. I know that at least once during each module, my body will throw something at me that will mean I can't study for a week or two. If I can get ahead at the beginning, that buys me a buffer that stops me getting behind. This module, everything apart from the study materials is locked until the course start date and almost every activity depends on tutor group interactions. I am already concerned that I will struggle to keep up with this module, which is ironic when the whole point of it, is accessibility.

Well, the one thing I can do, is start reading the set book and make some notes as I go. Hopefully, that means I won't have to spend as long reading later on. So let's start with a quick overview of the set book.

E-learning and Disability in Higher Education by Jane K. Seale

You'll notice that this is a custom edition. It's a combination of the second edition, with three chapters from the first edition. Looking ahead, I think the End of Module Assignment (EMA) is based on those three chapters.

The book is in four parts:

  1. Contextualising the scene
  2. Surveying the scene
  3. Critiquing the scene
  4. Re-imagining the scene
I'm assuming 'the scene' is the world of e-learning, as it relates to disabled students. 

As I suspect this book will be often quoted in assignments, it would be sensible to know how to reference it using Harvard referencing, OU-style.


In-text citationFull reference
(Seale, 2014)    Seale, J. K. (2014) E-learning and Disability in Higher Education: Accessibility Research and Practice (2nd edn), [ebook reader], Abingdon, Routledge.

In the preface, we find that the first edition was written seven years before the second edition. The purpose of the second edition is to "critically examine whether or not accessibility research and practice has significantly advanced" (Seale, 2014) in that time. Honestly, you'd like to hope so but I suspect it hasn't advanced as significantly as it should have done.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicki
    I like your comment that you'd like to hope that accessibility research and practice has moved on in 7 years. Will be interesting to see whether this is actually the case !
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect we can already guess at the answer to that... ;)

      Delete